Finding ways on how to change the resolution of a picture on Android can be quite challenging. This is because not a lot of Android phones have the processing power to increase the resolution of images. Fortunately, modern Android phones are now capable of lowering the resolution of images.
Let’s discuss how to change the resolution of a picture on Android in 4 different ways.
Different Ways on How to Change the Resolution of a Picture on Android
These different ways range from adjusting the settings on your camera all the way to using different apps. To get the best results, use them in combination.
1. HDR Mode
HDR stands for high dynamic range. The HDR mode works by taking multiple images. Usually, it takes 3 separate photos at different exposures. It then combines these 3 photos and highlights the best parts of the photo. It’s an old photography practice that has been introduced to modern Android phones.
Shooting with the HDR mode on your phone will result in more high-definition photos. Here are the steps you need to follow to activate the HDR mode of your phone.
- Tap on your phone’s camera app.
- Modern Android phones today usually have the HDR option displayed directly on the viewfinder. Look for an icon that says “HDR” somewhere on your screen and tap on it. To know that it’s activated, the icon should not have a slash on it.
- Once it’s activated, you can take photos as you normally would.
As awesome as HDR sounds, it’s not advised to use it all the time. For example, if your photo has a lot of movement in it, then HDR will give you blurred photos. Another example is high-contrast scenes.
2. Photo Resizer – Resize & Crop
Photo resizer is a great app that can help you change the resolution of a photo on Android.
If you’re looking for an app that is solely dedicated to resizing and cropping photos, then this app is perfect for you.
Photo Resizer – Resize & Crop comes with 4 presets for cropping sizes. The following sizes are available
Aside from that, the app also lets you input your desired custom resize size. The max resolution that Photo Resizer can accommodate is 2048×2048 As a result, if you’re working with photos that have higher resolution, this app may not be the best for you.
Here’s how to use the Photo Resizer app:
- Tap on the app to launch it.
- Once the app has launched, you will see 3 options, namely, Select photo, Take photo, File mode. Tap on the Select photo if the image will come from your Gallery. Tap on Take photo if you’re going to take a picture with your default camera.
- Assuming you chose the option Select photo, you will then choose the picture that you want to change the resolution of.
- The next screen will then show you a list of the fixed image sizes. If the size you need isn’t on the list, you can tap on the Custom size option to indicate your preferred size.
- Once you’ve finished resizing your photo, your new picture will be automatically saved in your Gallery.
PicsArt has been a fan favorite by a lot of Android users for years now. It currently has more than 500 million downloads in Google Play Store and has a 3.8-star rating. It’s one of the best photo editing apps for Android.
It has tons of features that will help users edit their photos. Whether it’s color grading, cropping, adding stickers, or drawing, PicsArt is the app for you. One of the features that PicsArt offers is Image resizing. Here’s how you can do it.
- Open the PicsArt app and tap on the small + icon located at the bottom of your screen.
- Once you’re on the next screen, select the image that you want to edit.
- The app will then load your image. Once that’s done, tap on the small tools icon located at the bottom-left of your screen.
- This will open more options for you. Tap on Resize to resize your image.
- PicsArt will then ask you to enter your preferred width and height of the image. It is worth noting that this measurement is in pixels. Simply enter the size you want and tap on Resize.
- Once PicsArt finishes resizing your photo, you can now save it as a new picture. Tap on the small arrow icon located at the top right corner of your screen and choose the option Gallery. This will save your new resized photo in your Gallery.
Snapseed is also a very popular photo editing app that millions of users use. It currently has over 100M downloads in Google Play Store and has a rating of over 4.5 stars.
It has tons of features that let you manipulate your images. You can fine-tune your images, adjust the white balance, remove objects from images, and many more. Of course, it also gives you the option to resize your photos.
When it comes to Image sizing, Snapseed gives you a ton of options. You can resize your images from 800 px all the way up to 4,000 px. Here’s how you do it.
- Open Snapseed and tap on the Settings. The Settings are represented by three dots that are located at the top right of the screen.
- Tap on Image sizing. This will open up more options.
- Select the size you prefer.
It’s important to note that this setting only applies to images that are larger than the selected value. This means that if your image is smaller than your selected settings, then your image will not be enlarged to accommodate the settings.
It’s also important to note that your options are limited. The resizing is restricted to the options presented by Snapseed. You won’t be able to customize the sizing to your specific preference.
Learning how to change the resolution of a picture on Android can be achieved in different ways. The ways discussed in this article are mostly to lower the resolution of a photo. Currently, it’s hard to increase the resolution of an image with an Android phone. But worry not! Developers are constantly working towards improving the resolution of cameras.
Do you know other ways on how to change the resolution of a picture on Android? We would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions in the comments below!